mardi 10 février 2015

When it gets real cold, it's time to learn thrums!

Recently, I've been more and more attracted to fleece and roving. And it's no mystery. Julie, the owner of the LYS where I work part time, La Julie Factrie, is an amazing fiber enthusiast who is very knowledgeable about fleece in general (spinning, felting, weaving and knitting). Her shop is always full of fiber bins and ungoing projects and everynow and then, she'll share some discovery or marvel.

Being exposed to this material and seeing the projects popping up on Ravelry was all it took to convince me to try thrumming! So when we received some Fleece Artist thrummed mitten kit I knew it would serve as a good practice for a particular pattern I had in mind, Ysolda's Cadeautje.

I was lucky enough to find a kit that was a nice complement to my new yellow coat.
 Syncopation adoration by Stephen West
Thrummed mittens by Fleece Artist
 I love that picture on the left. Partly because I received a comment by Stephen West himself on Instagram that said "Nice work!" (which made me dance in my living room), but mainly because my boyfriend captured my dog in the back. That little silhouette makes me laugh and melts my heart all at once!

But back to my subject : thrums. My mitten experience was a success. I found that thrums were very easy to do, once you got the hang of it. It was now time to tackle another project : the Cadeautje slipper pattern. 

And that was even better! I got to play with yarn and colours. Yeah!
For the first pair, I used some rustic yarn : Briggs and Little Atlantic in Jade and a rustic fiber kit colour Mélange automnal.
Cadeautje 1 pattern by Ysolda Teague
For the second pair, I wanted something softer both in colours and texture. I picked some Cascade Ecological Wool, paired with Fleece Artist Merino Sliver fiber. This created a fantastic soft and smooshy slipper (kind of a tongue twister!). In the process of customizing the pattern to follow my narrow feet, I ended up with a short slipper. But I'm sure to find some knitworthy recipient for this pair when it's done!
Cadeautje 2 pattern by Ysolda Teague

On my needles right now, countless projects, the most recent and exciting being the 3 Color Cashmere Cowl in Julie Asselin's Milis and Nanos stash yarn. Lovely! Photos to come on my Instagram account.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire